Families Change
Parent Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here

What should I do if someone is abusing me or my children?

Previous Next

If you or someone else in your home is in immediate danger, call 911.  You can also get help from the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic ViolenceIt’s hard to talk about child and partner abuse, even with close friends or family. Most children who are being abused are also reluctant to talk about it. This section will help you handle these problems.

If you are being abused, or if you think your children are being abused, don’t ignore it. Abuse is a serious problem, and you can get help. Again, we recommend the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Their phone number is 888-774-2900.

If you suspect there is abuse in your child’s life, visit the Kids' Guide and Teen Guide with the child. Go through all topics in a general way, including the People Getting Hurt and Abuse at Home information. Then, let the children go through this guide privately.

The children’s website covers

  • what abuse can look like,
  • abuse is not your fault, no matter what,
  • you are not alone,
  • getting help from a trusted adult,
  • how to break the cycle of abuse, and
  • calling 9-1-1 if there is immediate danger.

If an abused child reaches out to you for support, you should listen. Next, you should get professional help for the child.

If you are being abused, remember:

  • It isn’t your fault. You are not causing your abuse or bringing it on yourself.
  • You can’t change the person who is abusing you or your children.
  • You are not alone. You can get help!
  • You can get out of this situation. There are resources for you and your children.
  • If you or your children are in danger, call 9-1-1 or the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence now.

It is important for adults and children who have survived abuse to get help from a professional. Talk to a doctor, counselor, or agency in your community that specializes in treating survivors of abuse.