Families Change
Teen Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here


Previous Next

There are many people around you who can help you cope with your parents splitting up. Sometimes just talking to a friend can help a lot, especially if his or her parents have also split up. You can also talk to an adult you trust, like

  • a relative (aunt, uncle, grandmother, grandfather);
  • your teacher;
  • your school counselor;
  • court personnel;
  • someone at your place of worship; or
  • your family doctor.

These people can help by

  • listening;,
  • helping you to put things in perspective,
  • suggesting things you can do to feel better; and
  • connecting you with other people who can help.

If there is violence going on, you can call the National Domestic Violence Helpline at 1-800-799-SAFE to talk to someone now.

Q & A

I really feel like I need some help. Who should I ask?

There are lots of people around you who can help. Tell your parents, teacher, school counsellor, family doctor or another adult you trust.

If you aren't getting the help you think you need, keep asking until you get it.